Court Orders

There are several types of restraining orders available to residents of Washington State. Depending on the circumstances will dictate which order is most appropriate.

All orders are issued through the courts. You can go to the closest court to you to file a petition for an order. YOU CAN NOT FILE FOR A RESTRAINING ORDER THROUGH THE POLICE DEPARTMENT.

Order of Protection

This order is obtained by a victim of domestic violence. The victim may petition the court asking for protection. If the victim has children with the offender, then the order may be in place for up to 1 year. If no children are in common, then the order can be for a lifetime. The victim has the option to have this order lifted at any time. If the offender violates this order, the sanction can be a criminal offense. There is no charge for Protection Orders and they may be obtained at any of the district courts, municipal courts, or superior courts.

No Contact Orders

These orders arise out of a criminal conviction and provide protection to the victims of certain crimes. A judge places these orders in effect and only the judge can lift these orders. The victim does not, necessarily, have to agree with the order being put into place. Victims can file a motion in front of the sentencing judge to have the order lifted if they believe they are not in danger, however, the final decision is made by the judge.

Anti-Harassment Order:

This order is for victims of crime who do not fall under the statute for domestic violence. Similar to the protection order, the victim may petition the court to ask for protection. The order may be in effect for up to 1 year. Violation of this order can be a criminal sanction. There is a charge for this order and it varies depending on if you obtain the order from a district court, municipal court, or superior court. The victim should contact the court clerk to find out the cost.