Administered by the Department of Homeland Security, a U-Visa allows immigration protection for victims of qualifying crimes and their qualifying family members (as appropriate), who are helpful to law enforcement in the detention, investigation, or prosecution of criminal activity. This is a temporary visa that can be valid for up to four years, and in some cases may be extended.

U-Visas are not automatic, and can only be granted if the appropriate paperwork is sent to Homeland Security via the law enforcement agency where the criminal activity occurred.

If the incident(s) occurred within the jurisdiction of the City of Stanwood, then applicants submit their completed I-918 documents for certification. The certifying official is Chief Rob Martin.

Request Process

In order to certify a petition, the petitioner should submit evidence, attached to their petition, of their cooperation with law enforcement. The officers or detectives involved must concur that a U-Visa applicant has both cooperated with law enforcement and will cooperate in any subsequent prosecution before Chief Martin certifies the application.

For more information on the process and forms required, please visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services I-918 website. Requests should be forwarded to Amanda Slattery, Police Records Specialist, for research and processing. Approved files will then be forwarded to Chief Martin for final authorization/signature of certification. Forward requests to:

Stanwood Police Department
Attn: Amanda Slattery
P.O. Box 127
8727 271st Street NW
Stanwood, WA 98292

The Stanwood Police Department is under no legal obligation to sign off on a declaration and may do so at its discretion. Certification does not automatically grant an immigration benefit. Without law enforcement certification, the U-Visa will be denied.


For questions, email the Police Department or call 425-388-5290 during normal business hours.