Common Code Violations

Keeping Chickens, Other Poultry, or Rabbits in the City

Stanwood adopted regulations in 2013 to reduce the required setback for chicken coops from 100 feet to 20 feet from any neighbor and set limits and conditions on keeping poultry and rabbits within the City limits.

Failure to Properly Store & Dispose of Household & Commercial Garbage

Stanwood does not have mandatory garbage pickup. However, garbage must be stored in approved covered receptacles and removed before it becomes a public nuisance.

Sign Code Violations

A sign permit must be obtained prior to erection of new or alteration of existing signs. No signs shall be placed in the public right-of-way (ROW).

Property Maintenance

All properties shall be maintained so as to not create a public nuisance. This would include maintaining vegetation and no accumulation of:

  • Appliances
  • Building materials
  • Furniture
  • Junk vehicles
  • Rubbish
  • Trash

Encroachment Within Sensitive Areas

Clearing or encroachment into areas established as critical or sensitive areas are strictly prohibited. These areas can include:

  • Adjacent to streams
  • Green belts
  • Lakes
  • Native growth areas
  • Ponds
  • Steep slopes
  • Wetlands

Building Without a Permit

A building permit is required for all structures over 200 square feet additions, alterations and changes in use.

Junk Vehicles

A junk vehicle is a vehicle that meets the following conditions:

  • Is extensively damaged
  • Is apparently inoperable

Use of Recreational Vehicles & Accessory Buildings as a Dwelling Unit

It is illegal to utilize campers, travel trailers, motor homes, or storage sheds as habitable space on a permanent basis.

Vehicle Repairs

All vehicle repairs (not including simple maintenance) shall be performed within an enclosed permanent structure or garage. The use of portable structures (tarp style) for this use is prohibited.